South Africa’s second largest open medical scheme, Bonitas Medical Scheme (‘Bonitas’), launched their benefit and contribution changes for 2020 on Wednesday, 18 September 2019. An average contribution of 9.9% was announced.
Bonitas has noted the following as contributing factors to their 2020 increase: unregulated pricing on healthcare services, an increase on claim utilisation, an ageing membership, prevalence of life-style related conditions and high hospital tariffs.
Bonitas’ solvency of 25.2% (2018) remains above the current regulated standard of 25% which is an indication that the scheme is in a healthy condition.
ASI Financial Services’ (‘ASI’) has analysed the changes to your benefits and summarized them herein below.
ASI will be conducting member information sessions during which we will unpack all the changes and assist members with their choice of plan for 2020.
KEY BENEFIT HIGHLIGHTS
- BonFit renamed to BonFit Select
- Maternity benefit enhancements
- Mother and baby programme introduced
- Wellness Extender Benefit enhanced
- Bonitas Pharmacy Network
- Auxiliary benefits for non-PMB paid from day-to-day and savings
- General appliances paid from savings
- Hospital reimbursement rate on BonComprehensive and BonSave reduced
- Hearing aid benefit available every five (5) years
- Paramedical benefits paid from savings
- Spinal surgery co-payment increased to R10,000
- BonSave savings increased to 19.5%
- BonFit Select savings increased to 16%
- Amendments on the dentistry benefit
- Additional GP consultations available on BonFit Select
- Primary and Primary Select day-to-day increased by 14.7%
- Out of hospital Specialised Radiology benefit available on BonEssential and BonEssential Select